Product Marketing Manager
We are the company behind Kong, the most widely adopted open-source API gateway. We have a world-class Enterprise platform and our mission is to facilitate a new revolution in software production by serving as the backbone of the distribution and consumption of data and services through APIs.
Our vision is to enable developers to build more and manage less. We've built one of the most popular pieces of open-source software in the world and in the process grown an extremely engaged and active community. We're looking for a few great people who want to be part of a fun, highly-collaborative team.
Our ideal candidate is someone who will thrive in our environment of really smart, driven people, who get to work with many new, leading-edge technologies that solve large customer challenges. We're looking for people who want to make a huge impact and have real ownership for the work they do. This opportunity is ideal for someone who wants to be in on the ground floor of our fully-funded and very special startup.
About the role:
We’re seeking an ambitious, creative, tech-savvy marketer to own go-to-market for both the enterprise and open-source product and help define the future of a rapidly growing space, touching on every aspect of software development and production. This is an opportunity for the right person to have an outsized impact at a high-visibility company. The best candidate will prioritize raising our product, technical, and solution content to the next level, engaging and activating the developer and DevOps communities, and fueling our marketing funnel and sales motion. Your work will be noticed, and the impact will be felt by the company and a massive user base and ecosystem.
You get stuff done and are equally comfortable working across functions with the product and engineering teams, writing collateral designed to promote users through a meaningful customer journey, collaborating with partner organizations to enable users across the ecosystem value chain, creating strategies that target the right audience with the right message, and establishing positioning to drive market and category creation in collaboration with sales leadership. You know how to speak to a highly technical audience as well as stand out in a crowd. You have a tested framework and a set of strategies, but you’re not afraid to try new things and can shift gears quickly with renewed energy to tackle any challenge.
- Create collateral and assets across the customer journey, including presentations, briefs, white papers, blog posts, and videos
- Enable sales with plays and strategies aligned to customer personas and pain points
- Serve as a liaison to and organize engagements with user groups, the press, and the analyst community
- Become a subject matter expert to evangelize the product, use cases, and best practices to the community via marketing events, webinars, social media, etc.
- Develop go-to-market plans and execute launches for new offerings and features
- Build an ongoing understanding of the marketplace, customer, ecosystem, and competition
- Crystalize positioning for each key audience and use case to serve the Mashape and Kong brands and define the category, partnering with other marketing, sales, and product functions to drive messaging through all channels: website, sales pitches, comms, tech talks, blog, etc.
- Identify and manage key performance metrics to establish customer-focused and results-oriented strategies
- 3+ years of product marketing, technical marketing, or product management experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Open-source experience is required
- A track record of delivering compelling, breakthrough content targeting technical audiences
- Comfort translating technical concepts for a business audience and vice versa
- Background building, working with, and marketing to a large, diverse technical community
- Familiarity with prevailing trends in cloud computing, microservices architectures, API management, and DevOps
- Flexibility to a changing set of opportunities and fluency in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills, business acumen, and the ability to spot important trends and opportunities
- Bonus points for: startup experience, Salesforce reporting, public speaking, product marketing metrics, sales onboarding and training, event management, social media
- Programming skills is a plus
- San Francisco only or willing to relocate
- Start up experience
- Salesforce reporting
- Public speaking
- Experience with product marketing metrics
- Event management
- Social media proficiency
- Stock options
- Your choice of computer and other equipment
- Unlimited vacation days
- Lunch 2 times per week
- Snacks and beverages to keep you going through the day
- Game nights
- Italian food cooked by the founders
- Awesome medical, dental, vision plans
- 401k plan
- Fun happy hours and company outings
- A second family – whatever problem outside of work; we'll be there!